Thursday, May 7, 2015
Your plans for today (Thursday, May 7, 2015) in Alexandria, Virginia include these events:
- First Thursday in Del Ray ‘Dog Days Del Ray’ Businesses along the Avenue will provide dog-themed activities. Several animal rescue groups, including Homeward Trails and Lost Dog Rescue, will be in front of the Mount Vernon Community School with dogs available for adoption.The Alexandria Police Department’s K-9 unit will be on hand. And look for the dog exercise course, dog massages, dog artists and much, much more.The evening is sponsored by Your Dog’s Best Friends and the Del Ray Business Association. Visit this link for more information.
Animal Welfare League of Alexandria will be the featured nonprofit for this First Thursday. Donations of KONGs for dogs or cats, wand toys for cats, and dog toys. Drop off your donated items at the parking lot where the Farmers Market is held at the intersection of Mt. Vernon Ave. and E. Oxford Ave.
- Story time @ The Alexandria Library See calendar for times and locations.
- Police & Sheriff Memorial Service Join current and retired members of the Alexandria Police Department and Alexandria Sheriff’s Office as they honor the memory of their fallen brothers at this annual service. During National Correctional Officers and Employees Week and in honor of National Police Week, the Alexandria Retired Police, Fire and Sheriff Association, the Alexandria Police Department and the Alexandria Sheriff’s Office will hold a memorial service to pay tribute to 18 police officers and one deputy sheriff who died in the line of duty. Program includes honor guard, musical selections, roll call of the fallen, and spiritual reflection.
- Happy Hours in Alexandria See calendar for times and locations in Alexandria for food and drink specials.
- Public hearing on Potomac Yard Metro Station The Alexandria Park and Recreation Commission will hold a public hearing on the staff recommendation for the preferred alternative for the Potomac Yard Metrorail Station. This public hearing is an opportunity for the community to comment on the consistency of the staff recommendation with local park plans.
- Alexandria City Council meeting FY 16 Budget Adoption
- Paws to Read at Beatley Library For kids in grades 1-6, registration required. Friendly dogs come to the library to listen to their human buddies read to them. Please register for a 15 minute slot at the Central Youth Services Desk or call 703-746-1702.
(Image via Visit Del Ray)