The Other Marshall House in Alexandria, Virginia #FlashbackFriday

0
475

On this Flashback Friday, during the Civil War, the 500 block of Wolfe Street had several Union hospitals in the Southeast neighborhood of Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. This house was a neighbor of the Vowell-Smith house on Wolfe Street in Alexandria. It was built around 1850 and like the Vowell-Smith house, was used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was first used as Tuscan Villa Hospital, then joined the Vowell-Smith house as part of Wolfe Street Hospital.

While locals know the history of the Marshall House Tavern, after the Civil War, this house become the home of John A. Marshall, a successful businessman and banker in Alexandria. Marshall lived there until his death in 1913, and in the 1920s, the John Marshall House was acquired by newly-arrived Eastern European immigrants to Alexandria who founded an Orthodox congregation, called Agudas Achim. The congregation finalized the purchase of this house in 1928.

The site became the first synagogue for the Agudas Achim Congregation who had rented space in Old Town before purchasing the house. The congregation has since moved out to the West End of Alexandria on Valley Drive. In the early 1960s, the home was vacated and acquired for development.

What does the site look like today?

500 block of Wolfe Street - former home of the John Marshall House in Alexandria, Virginia
(Google Maps)

Leave a Reply

avatar

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of