How do you hurt a gaslighter?
- Hide an evil intention behind a friendly gesture.
- Subtly undermine your confidence and self-esteem.
- Make you second-guess yourself.
- Devalue you as an individual.
- Trivialize your opinions and ideas (and experiences)
- Force you to justify yourself to everyone else.
How do you turn the table on a gaslighter?
- Empathize with them.
- Listen to their side of the story.
- Confront them about their behavior.
- Let them win.
- Show no emotion.
- Don’t debate with them.
- Avoid getting defensive.
- Communicate calmly rather than arguing.
How does a gaslighter react when confronted? When you confront gaslighters about their behavior, they often change the subject or counter-attack by telling you that it’s all your fault or you are the one with the problem. They may say that you made them act the way they did because you irritated them.
How do you communicate with a gaslighter?
- Know how to recognize when gaslighting is happening.
- Stand firm in your truth.
- Write things down.
- Keep the conversation simple.
- Be willing to leave the conversation.
- Don’t worry about trying to “outsmart” the gaslighter.